Jens Larson

In the Spotlight is an opportunity for the campus community to get to know one another better. The goal is to build Eastern’s community by becoming familiar with the faces of faculty and staff members.

Date: February 29, 2012

Name:  Jens Larson

Title:  Marketing and Communications Coordinator

Department: Office of Admissions

Number of years at Eastern: 0.37

Brief personal/professional description: I get to turn cool ideas into really cool projects that showcase the amazing things that happen at Eastern every day. I occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and can type at least 85 words per minute.

Favorite book: I’m not good with favorites, but for the sake of argument, let’s say Nabokov’s Lolita, anything by Saramago and Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game.

Favorite movie: More favorites? Umm, how about Spirited Away, Dancer in the Dark and Star Wars – before Lucas betrayed an entire generation with the monster named Jar Jar Binks.

Favorite restaurant: I’m just going to pretend you asked for list of great places in Spokane: Gordy’s, The Scoop, Atticus Coffee and Gifts, Picabu and The Lantern.

Favorite quote:  I vaguely remember a high school first date in which all we did was ask each other about our favorites; favorite color, favorite food, favorite everything. It turns out that it’s not a particularly effective relationship strategy. That said, I’ll go with this selection from Khalil Gibran’s The Prophet:

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love’s ecstasy; to return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

Favorite vacation: Backpacking from Munich to Messina. Or maybe in the Mount Margaret Wilderness. Or in Glacier National Park. Seriously, these favorites are killing me.

Volunteer activities: Eastern committees, community gardens, and donating copywriting services and business consulting to young entrepreneurs. I’m also a sucker for any arts or music group that needs volunteers.

Awards received within the last five years: There’s some grant work (working with at-risk high school students) and a PEN/Faulkner for a poetry collection I edited, but I have yet to earn my first award at Eastern. (Hint, hint, all award committees.)

If I could do anything today I would: Work at a university with my friends and family on a distant planet. By day we would teach exobiology, intergalactic marketing and Earth literature, and by night we could ride six-legged horses and hunt flesh-eating slug-monsters. On a serious note, however, you know you live a happy life when your absolute greatest desire is to do what you already do with people you already know … on a different planet. (Admit it: it would be pretty spectacular.)