In the Spotlight: Dennis Reed

In the Spotlight is an opportunity for the campus community to get to know one another better. The goal is to build Eastern’s community by becoming familiar with the faces of faculty and staff members.

Date: May 1, 2012

Name:  Dennis Reed

Title:  Director of College Advancement for Planned Giving, Honors & Libraries

Department:  Advancement

Number of years at Eastern: 1 month as an employee; Alumni – 2005

Brief personal/professional description: I provide the gift planning resources that create incREDible opportunities to preserve the future of EWU. A true Eagle at heart, I completed my BA in Business Management and Marketing, and earned two graduate degrees – MBA and MPA, all at EWU. I worked as a machinist prior to my education and have since served over seven years in professional non-profit development before joining the Advancement Team at EWU. I enjoy ice fishing, smoking and canning fish, hiking, watching the Seahawks win, the Steelers lose and my favorite pastime, watching my two daughters learn, grow and play.

Favorite book: The Holy Bible. It guides my path!

Favorite movie: Courageous – Honor Begins at Home.  This is an out of the norm nomination for me as I would have typically listed a comedy like, Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins, Tropic Thunder or Uncle Buck. Courageous struck a chord with me and is a very inspirational movie about life’s biggest challenge, being a father. Watch it!

Favorite restaurant: The Crab Pot, Downtown Seattle, especially after watching the Seahawks win one at home.

Favorite quote: “Two men looked through prison bars. One saw mud, the other, stars.” ~Anonymous author from a Norman Vincent Peele poetry collection.

Favorite vacation: Chiang Mai, Thailand. I volunteered to build a new home for a low-income family there in 2009. They previously lived in a home literally built on top of a sewage canal with their six month old baby. I dream of the day I can go back to visit!

Volunteer activities: 2003 – AmeriCorps*VISTA Volunteer Alumni. I completed a one year term of service with Habitat for Humanity-Spokane.  I helped raise money to provide affordable homeownership opportunities for low-income families.

Awards received within the past five years: World’s Greatest Daddy! I receive an award every day from my daughters, age 2 and 15, who are always happy to see me when I get home from work!

If I could do anything today I would: Permanently lower gas prices to $2 a gallon!