In The Spotlight: Shelley Stickelmeyer

In the Spotlight is an opportunity for the campus community to get to know one another better. The goal is to build Eastern’s community by becoming familiar with the faces of faculty and staff members.

Name: Shelley Stickelmeyer

Title: Quality Service Coordinator

Department: Marketing & Communications

Number of years at Eastern: 9 months

Brief personal/professional description:

I’ve been married for 30 years to my husband, Jeff, and we have two great kids. Brandon turns 27 years old this month. He is a graduate student at the University of Washington and is working on his PhD in chemistry, with a research focus in co-polymer synthesis.

Our daughter, Jordon, is a full-time student at EWU. Her husband, Brad, is an EWU grad and will be returning this fall to work on his masters. They have been married for a few years and just gave us our first grandbaby: Piper Rae. I love, love being a grandmother; it’s just the best!

I started my education at EWU more than 32 years ago, never finished as a kid, and returned about 4 years ago to finish up through the ITDS program. I have just about one more year until my BA is in hand.

Professionally, I started my career in advertising in 1997 as a receptionist at a mid-size agency in Spokane, the Birchell Hall Agency. I moved my way up in the industry as a production assistant and then moved to TV media production. While I was with ILF Media for a few years, I spent the majority of my career working for Don Hamilton at Hamilton Studios as his still photography/media producer. My clients were primarily corporate and business clients with a few ad agencies to round things out.

I love this industry. It’s crazy and constantly fluid, but if you don’t play the game of advertising, you will never succeed. Advertising is the best way for the rest of the world to know what you do and how you do it. And that is why I love working at EWU; there is no better product to sell than education.

Favorite book: Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life by Queen Noor of Jordan. I read that book twice just to understand the many layers of politics she and King Hussein of Jordan had to navigate. Very interesting.

Favorite movie: The one I laugh at every time I see it: French Kiss with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan; just a silly funny movie.

Favorite restaurant: My most-favorite place to eat is Tony’s On The Lake in Coeur d’Alene. Nothing beats their deck and a good glass of red wine. In Spokane, I love Gordy’s Sichuan Cafe.

Favorite quote: “To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person you may mean the world.” – Unknown

Favorite vacation: I’ve hiked all over: Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, and all are beautiful, but the most fun was Glacier. My kids were about 15 and 11 years of age, and we hiked 5 to 15 miles every day. We saw so many animals and enjoyed each other’s company, as well as some grand memories that we all still talk about to this day.

Volunteer activities: I was a doula for several years with the Childbirth & Parenting Assistance program inside Catholic Charities. My involvement in CAPA was in their attachment and bonding mentoring program for high-risk teens and their young children. I started out to see if I could make a ripple of change, and even though there was positive change, I think I changed more than my young moms did!

If I could do anything today I would: Start the day with a walk with my dog. It clears out my head and starts the day off right.