In the Spotlight: Amy Johnson

In the Spotlight is an opportunity for the campus community to get to know one another better. The goal is to build Eastern’s community by becoming familiar with the faces of faculty and staff members.

Name:  Amy Johnson

Title:  Associate Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students

Department:  Student Affairs

Number of years at Eastern: Approximately 2 months

Brief personal/professional description: Amy Johnson is the Associate Vice President for Student Life and the Dean of Students. She has worked in higher education for more than 15 years as an administrator and faculty member, actively advising, teaching, and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students throughout her career. Prior to joining EWU, Johnson served in leadership roles at the University of Southern California (where she held a joint faculty appointment in the Rossier School of Education) and the University of Pennsylvania. She holds master’s and doctoral degrees in higher education from Penn and a bachelor’s degree in English/communication from the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Wash. Her academic and research interests include living-learning environments (primarily residential colleges), distance education and creative uses of technology to facilitate learning and deliver services, and students’ transition to college.

Favorite book: No favorite. As an English major, I am a fan of Shakespeare and British literature, in particular.

Favorite movie: No single fave, although picking from De Niro’s filmography is always a good bet. If Midnight Run is on, I can’t leave the room.

Favorite restaurant: Impossible to choose. But I never pass up an opportunity for good sushi… or Mexican food.

Favorite quote: The poem “Invictus” came into my life at a meaningful time and several quotes from that work always resonate with me.

On a more colloquial level, while I was growing up, my mother was a big proponent of “Make it work” (long before Tim Gunn made it famous) and I find myself saying it a lot.

Favorite vacation: My family and I have been fortunate to make a number of trips to Hawaii in the last decade… and those islands will always hold a special place in my heart.

Volunteer activities: Most of our volunteer time and charitable donations are committed to our local children’s hospital and the Cares Foundation, supporting Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia research, education and search for a cure.

If I could do anything today I would: Dance on Broadway. Or maybe pursue my dream to take a long-distance bike trip through Europe.