A Message From the Provost

As we approach the end of winter quarter, I want to update you on a number of important initiatives in Academic Affairs. Many of these are highlighted in the sections that follow, but one is particularly worthy of special notice.

I am pleased that Eastern Washington University will host the 2015 National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR). I want to thank Ron Dalla and his colleagues (Judd Case, Kelley Cullen, Greg duMonthier, Debbie Fockler, Kayleen Islam-Zwart, Sarah Keller, Dave McKay, Erin Morgan, Tom Shaffer, Kevin Decker, Shawn King, David Early, Teresa Conway, Brian Lynn and Leslie Swannack) for developing this successful proposal. As you know, EWU has a longstanding tradition of engaging students in research. This is highlighted each year at our annual Student Research and Creative Works Symposium. In addition, EWU traditionally sends more students to the NCUR conference than any other university in the state of Washington. The active involvement of our students in research and creative works is part of the DNA of EWU. I want to express my appreciation to you for your willingness to engage our students in these types of activities.

Looking ahead to April 16 – 18, 2015, we can expect nearly 3,000 students and faculty to attend the conference. As you can imagine, hosting an event of this size will pose many challenges and require all of us to make decisions that are supportive of the larger goal of hosting a successful event. We want the attendees to leave the conference with a much greater appreciation for the high caliber of work that is done at EWU. The conference also will be a great opportunity to recruit graduate students in many fields. I look forward to sharing more details of this event in the months to come.