In the Spotlight: Charlene Alspach

In the Spotlight is an opportunity for the campus community to get to know one another better. The goal is to build Eastern’s community by becoming familiar with the faces of faculty and staff members.

Charlene Alspach joined the staff of the Office of Grant and Research Development on February 1 as an Associate for Grant Development. She provides assistance to EWU faculty and staff as they develop grant and contract proposals. She is also available to offer workshops and one-on-one tutorials to faculty and staff on proposal writing and regulatory compliance.

Title: Associate for Grant Development

Department: Office of Grant and Research Development

Number of years at Eastern: 3 months!

Brief personal/professional description: My husband and I just moved to Cheney from Ludlow, Mass. We have two children and one grandson. We came to enjoy the Spokane area when our son was stationed at Fairchild AFB. We think it is a lovely region and enjoy the climate and the pace of life. It’s more relaxed than the east coast.

I have a master’s degree in organizational management from Springfield College, and have worked in the non-profit world my entire career. I taught preschool for 11 years when my children were young. I then took a job at a large Head Start program in Springfield, Mass., where I worked with state and federal grants and contracts. When I was working for Head Start, I also oversaw a Migrant Head Start program for several years.

I also taught non-profit management, research and grant writing at Springfield College.

Wanting to work in the higher education environment, I took a position at American International College in Springfield, where I became the Director of Grants. The job entailed doing both pre- and post-award management.

When the position at Eastern came up, I thought that it would be a great opportunity to work more closely with faculty to develop proposals. So here we are, it has been quite a journey getting here!

Favorite book: Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife by Alexander Eben

Favorite movie: White Christmas

Favorite restaurant: So far in the area – the Rusty Moose

Favorite quote: Do what you like, like what you do – that’s my motto!

Favorite vacation: Kauai, Hawaii

Volunteer activities: Back in Massachusetts, I worked with food drives and at the area food bank, did advocacy for young children and participated in many Rays of Hope Breast Cancer walks and activities, a local breast cancer foundation in Springfield.

If I could do anything today, I would: Work in my garden. The environment here is very different than back in Massachusetts, my garden needs a lot of work!

Comments

1. Heather Veeder says

Welcome to EWU Charlene! I look forward to having an opportunity to work with you in the future. We met earlier today in the Academic Success Center.

2. Gail Potter says

Charlene is a such a wonderful addition to our office. Please come meet her!

3. Danielle Goldaper says

Charlene is amazing! I had the joy of working with her in the Advancement office at American International College for almost two years! I miss her energy and efficiency, but most of all, I miss her personality! EWU, you have a gem on your staff! Charlene, best wishes on this new chapter of your life!