Changes in Academic Affairs

Dear Members of the EWU Community:

Fall 2013 will bring a number of changes to the Academic Affairs, and I wanted to make you aware of those changes prior the close of this academic year.

As many of you already know, Dr. Ron Dalla, Vice Provost, Graduate Education, Research, Academic Planning and Evaluation, will retire at the end of the 2013 calendar year.  Ron has faithfully served the University for more than forty years.  In addition to being a member of the mathematics faculty, serving as its chair, he has also served in a number of administrative positions including Interim Provost, Interim Vice President of Student Affairs, Executive Director of the Riverpoint Campus, and Graduate Dean.  Ron is and has been a respected member of the EWU family, and I know when I say he will be greatly missed, that I speak for the entire University Community.

Ron’s decision, coupled with an overview of other units within Academic Affairs, affords us an opportunity to further consolidate and enhance services to programs.  Toward this end, I met with the graduate program directors, chairs of graduate programs and deans to ascertain the support needs for graduate programs in the future.  With the creation of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and Student Success, further alignment is possible.  I am pleased to announce that the Vice Provost for Academic Planning, Graduate Programs, Grants and Institutional Research will combine many related functions.  The new structure will enable Academic Affairs to put Ron’s former position and support staff on state funding—during the budget cuts of 2007-09, the office was placed on ledger 2 funds, but the revenue from graduate applications is not sufficient to sustain this approach in the future.  Alignment of Institutional Research has enabled Academic Affairs to reduce one position and reallocate base funds in support of this goal.

Following considerable deliberation, I would also like to announce the appointment of Dr. Colin Ormsby to the position of Vice Provost, Academic Planning, Graduate Programs, Grants and Institutional Research.  Colin will assume many of the responsibilities Ron now holds in addition to his work in Institutional Research.  To ensure appropriate overlap for cross training I have asked Colin to assume the position on September 16, 2013 and to work with Ron for a smooth transition on critical projects such as the NWCCU accreditation and graduate education.  I have asked Ron to continue to lead in areas of accreditation and program development in addition to his work with Colin until his retirement in late fall.

In closing, I am confident that this new alignment will serve the campus well going forward.  I hope you will join me in supporting Colin in this new role. Finally, I want to wish Ron the very best in retirement and thank him for his many years of exemplary service.

Best regards,

Rex  Fuller

Dr. Rex Fuller
Provost and VPAA