In the Spotlight: Jenny Sheffield

In the Spotlight is an opportunity for the campus community to get to know one another better. The goal is to build Eastern’s community by becoming familiar with the faces of faculty and staff members.

Name: Jenny Sheffield

Title: Scholars Coordinator and Faculty Field Instructor

Department: College of Social & Behavioral Sciences and Social Work. I specifically work at the Idaho Child Welfare Research and Training Center.

Number of years at Eastern: 1

Brief personal/professional description: I grew up in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, and continue to live there. I love the outdoors, especially in the warm months. I am significantly blessed with an amazing husband, Nate, and we have a spirited, sparkly, feisty little girl named Gracie. As a family, we love boating, swimming, yoga, reading, and enjoying music together.

I am a social worker and have had the privilege to work in a variety of venues, including Head Start, The Coeur d’Alene School District, The Department of Health and Welfare in Child Protection and as a mental health therapist in community agencies. I have a love for child welfare and have a specific interest in trauma-informed care and mindfulness. As a social worker, I am regularly inspired by people’s stories, their resilience and energized by the many miracles of the human experience.

Favorite book: This is endless…a few highlights include: “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein; “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert; “The Help” by Kathryn Stockett. I also have a fondness for the writings of Shakespeare, Robert Frost, Maya Angelou and Mary Oliver.

Favorite movie: I love musicals! Recently I have been watching a lot of musicals from the 50s and 60s. I have to say that watching “Grease” will always bring a smile to my face.

Favorite restaurant: Spicy food makes me really happy! I love The Porch in Hayden, Idaho; the street taco stand in La Manzanilla, Mexico; or whatever is on the table at my family get togethers. I come from a family of great cooks and it is fabulous when we get together and share!

Favorite quote: I have an affection for quotes and gather them in a beautiful recycled-paper book given to me from a special aunt. That being said, I have a few favorites:

“In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus

“Let yourself be silently drawn to the stronger pull of what you really are.” – Rumi

“I could not at any age be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on.  Life was meant to be LIVED!” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“Your playing small does not serve you. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking.” – Nelson Mandela

Favorite vacation: Sun, beach, water! I love Jamaica, Mexico, Hawaii and boating on Lake Coeur d’Alene.

Volunteer activities: I have volunteered in many community projects, including Meals on Wheels, at local schools and child welfare-related projects.

Awards received within the past five years: No awards recently, however, I was the Vikette of the Year at Coeur d’Alene High School in 1993…that counts, right?

If I could do anything today I would: I would spin the globe and jump on a plane with my family to the location where my finger landed. I have a significant case of wanderlust and love to experience new cultures and have fun adventures.