Gov. Inslee Appoints New EWU Trustee

Dear Campus Community:

I am pleased to announce that Uriel Iñiguez, one of six siblings to graduate from Eastern Washington University and the father of a current EWU student, has been appointed the university’s Board of Trustees by Gov. Jay Inslee, effective Jan. 1, 2014.

Mr. Iñiguez is the oldest of 11 children, all of whom were first-generation college students – a dream come true for a family whose parents came to this country from Mexico with no formal education. Uriel holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration with a focus on human resources from Eastern, and he has a master’s degree in public administration from City University.

“Eastern Washington University changed my life and the lives of my siblings in ways we could have never imagined,” said Iñiguez. “I am looking forward to working with the other trustees and President Arévalo to ensure EWU continues to fulfill its mission of expanding opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning, and in making EWU one of the leading educational institutions.”

Since June 2005, Mr. Iñiguez has served as the executive director of the Commission on Hispanic Affairs for the state of Washington. Prior to his appointment to the commission, he worked for the Department of Corrections where he held various management positions.

Recently, four of the Iñiguez alumni from Eastern Washington University began the Iñiguez Family Endowed Scholarship. The scholarship will help first-generation students from Mexico complete their college degrees, and it requires them to be active in the Latino community.

Mr. Iñiguez replaces Bertha Ortega, who has served on the board since 2002. His appointment is for six years.

Trustees on the board work with the president to set the strategic direction of the university and help ensure that EWU is academically and financially accountable and successful.

Rodolfo Arévalo, PhD
President