In the Spotlight: Bilal Badruddin

In the Spotlight is an opportunity for the campus community to get to know one another better. The goal is to build Eastern’s community by becoming familiar with the faces of faculty and staff members.

Name: Bilal Badruddin

Title: Residential Life Coordinator

Department: Housing and Residential Life

Number of years at Eastern: 7 Months

Brief personal/professional description: I am currently in my first year working as a higher education professional. I am excited to be here at Eastern because of my passion for Residential Life and Student Affairs. My role, as a Residential Life Coordinator, allows me to reach a large number of students and be a support system to make their collegiate career the best years of their life. Housing and Residential Life also allows me to have collateral assignments, which I appreciate because I am provided the opportunity to assist in advising some of the sororities and fraternities here at EWU.

As a member of Delta Epsilon Psi, National South-Asian Interest Fraternity, Inc., I have a passion for Sorority and Fraternity Life. I am enthusiastic about promoting the positive impact that Greek Organizations have on a campus and the community around them.

I first gained interest in the field of student affairs during my undergraduate career at Temple University, where I majored in Advertising Research. After graduating, I worked for the American Education and Travel Service, where I worked with international students interested in studying at American universities. In the spring of 2012 I started my graduate career at Loyola University Chicago, where in May 2013 I graduated with my masters in Higher Education. While pursuing my M.Ed., I was the Graduate Assistant for Greek Life at Northeastern Illinois University. After graduation in May, I interned in the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities at NEIU until I made my move to Cheney in July.

Since starting here at Eastern Washington University, I have made an effort to make myself available to everyone and be as visible as possible, and I hope to continue to build relationships with everyone here at EWU and the surrounding community.

Favorite book: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Favorite movie: Love and Basketball

Favorite restaurant: Gyu-Kaku

Favorite quote: “The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese” – Unknown

Favorite vacation: I really enjoy travelling and visiting places I have not been, so I don’t have a favorite vacation spot; however, on my next vacation I look forwards to going back home to New Jersey and visiting my family.

Volunteer activities: I regularly volunteer with the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) and the South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT)

Awards received within the past five years: NASPA IV-E Graduate Scholarship

If I could do anything today I would: Eat. Food brings people together!