In the Spotlight: Cassie Devaney

In the Spotlight is an opportunity for the campus community to get to know one another better. The goal is to build Eastern’s community by becoming familiar with the faces of faculty and staff members.

Name:  Cassie Devaney

Title:  Associate Director of Alumni Relations

Department:  Alumni Advancement

Number of years at Eastern: Not even a full year yet! I’ve been here five wonderful months.

Brief personal/professional description: I graduated from Eastern in 1996 with a degree in Communication Studies. Since then, I’ve worked as the director of corporate communications for a financial services firm (ICM Asset Management – I started there as an intern my senior year at EWU), director of marketing for a global manufacturing company (Zak Designs) and most recently as a regional public relations manager for the nation’s largest membership association (AAA). This summer I’ll be celebrating my 20-year anniversary with my husband, J.P.

Favorite book: I love to read. My minor at Eastern was in English Literature. While my tastes tend to favor classic British literature (think Austen and Shakespeare), a few recent favorite reads have been Just Kids, by Patti Smith and Tell the Wolves I’m Home, by Carol Brunt. I’m currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

Favorite movie: My love for independent and foreign films (especially British period pieces!) can be validated with a quick look at my Netflix queue.  My all-time favorite movie is the Merchant Ivory production of A Room with a View.

Favorite restaurant: So is this where I admit that I’m a bit of a foodie? My favorite restaurants in Spokane are Santé, Casper Fry, South Perry Pizza and The 27. When I need to satisfy my sweet tooth I like to hit up The Scoop or Boots Bakery. Of course coffee needs its own category. My favorite spots to caffeinate are Revel 77 and Coeur Coffee.

Favorite quote:I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. “ ~ Maya Angelou

I’m grateful to have people in my life that make me feel good about myself. We should all strive to be that person for someone else.

Favorite vacation: From my previous answers, it will be no surprise that it was a trip to London. I got to cross off one of my “bucket list” items, which was to see a performance of the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Volunteer activities: When I went through the Leadership Spokane program in 2009, we learned extensively about the Servant Leadership model. It’s basically a leadership philosophy that puts the needs of others in front of your personal needs. Volunteerism is an important component and something that I’ve always embraced. I’m a member of Rotary Club 21 and we are actively involved with various community service projects. I’ve also recently volunteered with DECA, Junior Achievement, Spokane Public Schools and the Governor’s Task Force for Highway Safety.

If I could do anything today I would: Hop on a plane to Italy and just explore…

Comments

1. Maggie Crabtree says

Glad you are here Cassie! It’s been great watching your career blossom!