EWU Alum Named to University’s Board of Trustees

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee has appointed Michael Finley, who earned both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Eastern Washington University, to the EWU Board of Trustees.

His term is effective July 1 and will continue through Sept. 30, 2015. Finley is completing the term of Mark Mays, who passed away this spring.

Finley is an enrolled member of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation and is a two-time chairman of the Colville Business Council. He earned his BA in American Indian studies (2003) and a MA in history (2005) from EWU, and has received numerous awards for his academic and professional achievements.

“I am truly honored being bestowed such a distinguished position,” said Finley. “It is a responsibility I accept with humility, and I pledge to foster success with the university and the entire student body, in every discipline, and at every corner of the institution. This represents an opportunity to give back to the university that helped me realize my own potential, which in turn led to my prosperity.”

In appointing Finley, Gov. Inslee praised his ability to meet the high expectations for such a position. “Michael Finley will help the EWU Board of Trustees strengthen the university,” said Inslee. “He understands the importance of operating in a transparent, responsive and cost-efficient manner that will achieve results and benefit students.”

Finley received the Cecil Dryden Alumni Award from EWU’s History department, which is given to a distinguished graduate in that field each year. He has co-authored a book on Native American history and continues to serve on national tribal councils.