From Lisa Poplawski, Director of Alumni Advancement

Erick Keating, Lisa Poplawski, and friend.

Superstitions come in many forms. One of my favorite beliefs is in my magical black and white checkered hat that I purchased at Disneyland a couple of years ago. I know it is lucky because I wore it during the entire 2010 Eagle football season and subsequent championship run.

This year, I resurrected my hat for good luck. My colleagues and I insisted that someone in my family had to wear the hat in my absence at the Portland State game. My daughter refused to wear it, and my husband only gave in and put it on after a bumpy first half.  The result was a check mark in the “win” column.

In December, Eastern’s football season came to an end in one of the craziest games I have ever seen. Although my lucky hat did not take us all the way to the championship game in Frisco, Texas, our team continues to climb in the ranks of the elite FCS programs and the entire 2012 journey (from the tailgating to the last second of each game) was impressive, memorable and fun!

Thank you to the team, and the team behind the team, who made this season incredible, including the more than 100 alumni band members who dusted off their instruments and filled the seats vacated by our band students who were off campus for winter break. And thank you to YOU the alumni who faithfully stand tall and proud of your Eastern Eagles.

But the fun doesn’t stop with the end of football season.  We’re excited for 2013 and the many planned alumni activities, including one of the most meaningful events, the Alumni Awards Gala on May 18. Although it is several months away, we have already begun the process of accepting nominations.  The success of the event, and the honor bestowed on our awarded alumni, are the result of the time you take to nominate noteworthy EWU graduates.  I hope you will take a moment after reading this and go to http://alumni.ewu.edu/alumniawards to reflect on your friends or family who are deserving of these awards.

This celebration allows us, in a sense, to scream from the rooftops, throw confetti and say, “thank you.”  From teachers, mentors, volunteers, military and businessmen, Eastern alumni are making a difference across the globe in surprising and moving ways. The gala event acknowledges their commitment with specific awards, including Lifetime Achievement, Exceptional Military Service, Inspirational Young Alumnus, Distinguished Faculty, Alumnus of Services and Organization of Excellence.

If you want to wear my lucky hat while filling out your nomination form, just let me know.

Speak Your Mind

*