From Lisa Poplawski, director Alumni Advancement

Lisa Poplawski and Gina Mauro Campbell

General George S. Patton once said: “Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.” He didn’t actually say it to me, but he really did say it.

I took the advice of George this summer and competed (and completed) the Seattle to Portland Bike Classic. It was 202 miles of bike riding over two days. It was a challenge!  And, yes, it was also a very exhilarating moment when I crossed the finish line in Portland after two big days sitting on that little seat. The second day of my ride I proudly wore my EWU cycling jersey because I wanted everybody to know that Eagles are up for challenges.

My friend Gina (Mauro Campbell) appreciates a good challenge too.  She is the volunteer president of our Alumni Association board.  She serves as the leader and guide for the other 20 board members who volunteer their time and energy to mentor students, network at events, plan coffee stops and raise money for the alumni scholarship endowment.

“It’s been an honor to serve on the alumni board as president,” said Gina Mauro Campbell. “The best part is meeting alumni and hearing how their Eastern experience made a difference for them. The stories are inspiring and poignant. Our challenge as an alumni board is to tell the collective story of Eastern, its alumni and students. We challenge you to help us with that! Share your story in your community and networks and encourage others with your Eagle pride. And as always, let us know how we can help you get and stay connected to your alma mater.”

Gina and I encourage YOU to take your own Eagle challenge. Select a challenge that will be meaningful to you. Try something that gives you a chance to engage in a way that strengthens your relationship with Eastern.  Find an EWU student intern, attend your first alumni event, email a former faculty member who changed your perspective, give your first gift to an area at EWU that impacted your life (Eagle Ambassador Club, intramurals, Biology Department) or tell a student athlete “thank you.”

Regardless of the challenge, enjoy your moment of exhilaration and share it with us on Facebook or email us at ewualum@ewu.edu.

Speak Your Mind

*