Long known as home to the college then named Arts and Letters (CAL) and later as Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences (CLASS), Patterson Hall first opened for classes in 1970. Named for Don Patterson, EWU president from 1954 to 1967, Patterson Hall has reached the half-way mark in a two-phase, four-year renovation process.
Patterson was originally constructed as two separate buildings, leading to renovation and funding strategies that maintain the idea of separate structures. Renovation has moved forward according to a first-phase, second-phase model, and the $61 million of capital budgeting funds needed to complete the project has been spread over two biennial legislative cycles. The Washington State Office of Financial Management is the officiating agency for the state’s capital projects.
The first phase of the project has included adding new office wings on three sides of the building, while the second phase of the project will include the modernizing of 105, 000 square feet of classroom space. Other changes include the addition of classroom technology and a revamping of Patterson’s heating, mechanical, ventilating, and air-conditioning systems. When the Patterson Hall renovation is complete (predicted for summer 2014), faculty and staff of the college – now Arts, Letters and Education – will move back from their interim quarters in Martin Hall and Robert Reid Lab.