Dear Campus Community:
As we welcome incoming students and prepare every part of the campus for the new academic year, I thought I’d sum up a few summer changes, events, and activities.
- EWU has again received national recognition as a College of Distinction.
- Roy Sonnema is returning to faculty, stepping down as CALE Dean, so CALE will have interim co-deans for the coming academic year. Dr. Peter Porter will handle issues related to curriculum and personnel, while Dr. Brian Donahue will handle College operations. The search for a permanent dean will begin in the fall.
- Our Library Dean, Suzanne Milton, is also returning to faculty, and we will name an interim Dean for 2018-19. The search for a permanent dean will begin in the fall.
- For the third time in four years, Eastern has won the Big Sky Conference Presidents’ Cup. Based on a point system that counts both academic and athletic success, Eastern finished ahead of runner-up Northern Colorado and third-place Weber State.
- Our new IR Director, Oloruntomi Joledo, from the University of Central Florida, will start at EWU in the fall.
- On July 20, we celebrated the Red Tie Gala, honoring organizations and individuals who have supported the university. This year we honored Avista and individual donor Walt Powers.
- On July 23, we were joined by legislators, members of the Board of Trustees, faculty, staff, students, and community members as we broke ground for the Interdisciplinary Science Building.
- On August 8, we will join Avista and McKinstry in the groundbreaking for the Catalyst Building in which Eastern will be the lead tenant.
- On October 3, we will celebrate the opening of the new Gateway Bridge in the University District. Our Engineering faculty will design time capsules to be buried in the bridge.
- On October 26 and 27, we will celebrate the grand opening of the beautifully remodeled PUB.
- We’re renovating and expanding the playground for the childcare center.
- The Eagle Hockey Club has been accepted into the Pac-8 conference for the 2018-19 season.
- We have a new volleyball head coach, Leslie Flores-Cloud, who comes to us from Drake University, and we have a new cross country head coach, Sam Read, who comes to us from Montana State.
- Bo Moos will be starting with us as a development officer for Athletics. He comes to us from WSU.
It has been a busy summer! I look forward to seeing you all as we start an excellent new academic year.