From EWU President, Mary Cullinan
December is a time for reflection as we approach the end of another year. For me, it’s also a time of thankfulness and delight as I look back at memorable events in the life of EWU over the past months. Here are a few highlights:
- Raising a record $1.8 million for scholarships and other areas of need during our third annual Giving Joy Day. (Thank you, everyone!)
- Welcoming our largest-ever freshman class.
- Breaking ground for the new Catalyst building in Spokane and a new Interdisciplinary Science Center in Cheney.
- Celebrating Homecoming with a parade, the President’s 5K run, memorable events for 50-year alumni, a sneak peek at the gorgeous remodeled PUB, and a winning football game.
- Presenting service pins to the many faculty and staff who’ve worked at EWU for 20 years or more and learning about their experiences and the university’s history.
- Celebrating the 50th anniversaries of both Africana Studies and American Indian Studies at EWU.
- Meeting with enthusiastic alumni and Eagle supporters in Arizona, Utah, Oregon, Colorado, and Washington, D.C. as well as cities throughout the state of Washington.
- Attending an array of athletic events and supporting our talented student athletes, who yet again won the Big Sky President’s Cup for athletic and academic prowess.
- Visiting with a broad array of legislators in their districts to thank them for supporting higher education and to learn their priorities for the 2019 session.
- Celebrating EWU’s national Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award as well as being named a College of Distinction.
- Having a blast at Oktoberfest as friends and supporters raised money for our library.
It has been a breathtaking beautiful and productive fall term. Thank you for supporting our wonderful university. Best wishes to all of you for a very happy Holiday Season.