Relationships have the potential to enrich our lives and add to our enjoyment. A healthy relationship should bring more happiness than stress into your life. Healthy relationships are an essential part of healthy living.
Some signs of a healthy relationship include:
- Communication; if something is bothering you, it’s best to talk about it instead of holding it in
- Being able to express yourselves without fear of rejection
- Taking care of yourself and having good self-esteem independent of your relationship
- Maintaining and respecting each other’s individuality and privacy
- Maintaining relationships and activities apart from one another
- Feeling secure and comfortable
- Taking interest in one another’s activities
- Not worrying about violence in the relationship
- Trusting each other and being honest
- Having respect for sexual boundaries and being honest about sexual activity (if it is a sexual relationship)
- Resolving conflict fairly; arguing is a part of a healthy relationship, the difference is how the conflict is handled.
If a relationship causes stress, anger, anxiety or depression, you may want to consider ending the relationship. If you are unsure if you should end the relationship, or do now know how to, you can connect with Counseling and Psychological Services (Martin 225) to speak with someone who can help.