A group of student leaders with the assistance of Eastern Washington University Department of Campus Recreation established the Club Sports Federation in 1999 in order to provide the campus community with sport specific clubs not currently offered by the University as an NCAA athletic team. The Club Sports Federation will also provide participants with the opportunity improve their health, physical fitness, teamwork, and leadership skills; in addition to, helping students understand the philosophy of good sportsmanship while they are representing Eastern Washington University in club competitions or workouts.
Although the goals of each club differ they each share a common set of goals. These goals set forth by the federation at its founding are:
- Encourage members to learn new or improve existing sport skills.
- To engage in structured competition, if desired, by the club members.
- To develop and maintain a high level of physical fitness.
- To develop leadership and administrative skills.
- To encourage EWU students to participate and try new activities as a means of making their experience at EWU more rewarding and memorable.
- To maintain high ethical standards in all aspects of the club sport activity so that participants learn and understand the importance of fair play.
- Provide EWU students with the opportunity for growth outside the classroom through Club Sport activities.