Career & Technical Education
Plan 2 - Business & Industry Route
The Plan 2 Business and Industry Route teacher certification is offered COMPLETELY ONLINE. This is a 1-year program for candidates who possess 6,000 hours of occupational experience in a specialty area. The certificate allows candidates to teach only in that specific area.
The EWU Plan 2 requirements are defined by the OSPI CTE Initial Certification requirements.
When you complete this Plan 2 program, you will be able to apply to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) for a Washington State CTE Initial certificate to teach in grades 5-12 ONLY in your specialty area of certification.
You will also be certified to teach work-site learning and career choices. Review the OSPI VCode Certification chart to determine your specialty area and/or visit the OSPI website for further details.
Please Note: Graduation from the EWU Plan 2 program DOES NOT guarantee you will be able to teach all courses you want to teach. OSPI Certification Office makes the final determination on which classes you will be eligible to teach based on work history documents. If you have questions regarding the areas in which you will be eligible to teach, please contact the OSPI Certification Office directly at 360-725-6400.
The CTE Plan 2 program can be completed in one of 2 ways:
Credit Hour Option
The credit hour option provides students with college level credits following completion of the required courses.
This option is available to students who do not currently hold a Washington state teaching certificate. However, students who do hold a teaching certificate are welcome to choose this option as well.
Clock Hour Option
The clock hour option is for those students who currently hold a valid Washington State teaching certificate and wish to receive clock hours toward their professional development rather than college level credits.
- Click the Apply Now button above to submit an application for the program. You'll be asked which option (credit or clock hours) you'd like to pursue, so be sure to review the information regarding each option before applying.
- Evidence of Basic Skills Completion - This evidence will be included in the application, and is required only for those students who do not currently hold a valid Washington state teaching certificate.
- Occupational Experience Form - There will be a link to this form at the end of the application also.
- Official Transcripts and/or Test Scores - Sent to CTE Office, unofficial copies can be uploaded into the application for initial evaluation.
- Copy of Valid Washington State Teaching Certificate(s) (if applicable) - This can be uploaded into the application.