Our website is our number one marketing and communications tool. It is our primary connection with prospective students and constituencies worldwide. A better website is an extension of EWU’s core values: quality, access, inclusiveness, integrity and a student-centered learning environment.
The EWU Digital Initiative seeks to:
Recognize our audiences’ needs and expectations;
leverage web technologies to better meet institutional goals; incorporate a shared brand identity and story; understand best practices and industry standards; and measure the success of decisions based on data.
- Put the needs of our users first
- Enhance site architecture, navigation and search
- Deliver an optimized, responsive design resulting in a better user experience
- Meet university, state and federal policies and guidelines for accessibility and equal access
- Produce web content and style standards that result in an appealing, cohesive visual design
- Realign content to showcase student, faculty and alumni accomplishments that reflect our core values
- Integrate social media in more useful, targeted ways to increase engagement
- Ensure webpages are maintained and improved as part of ongoing university operations
- Support page owners and authors through regular, effective training
- Position a team of experts at the center of our community of web publishers to provide a high level of support
Website Redesign Time Frame
How soon can we have it?
1. Identify your guru
Who is your go-to person when your webpages need updating? This should be someone you trust with access to your site who also knows how your department works. Though an eye for design and basic HTML knowledge are a plus, your “guru” doesn’t have to be a web designer or developer extraordinaire. Just someone you know you can rely on when it’s time to move your content.
NOTE: Is (or was) this person a student? You’ll still need a staff or faculty person with site access who can act as your liaison with the EWU Digital Team.
2. Evaluate your content
When was the last time someone reviewed your webpages for accuracy? Now is a great time to fix problems with the content on your current site so they aren’t duplicated on the new one. Check for things like outdated course lists, broken links, old documents, missing profiles, outdated contact info, typos, etc.
NOTE: Need an extra eye or two? MarCom is here to help! While they aren’t experts in your particular field, our editors are pros at reformatting and styling complex content for a general audience. More: ewu.edu/marcom
3. Get to know WordPress
WordPress is going to revolutionize the look and functionality of your website. (Yay!) While a formal transition timeline has not yet been established, some departments and programs are currently piloting the new platform (examples: this site, Procurement and MPH). Learn more…
Digital Communications Team
We have assembled a team of talented EWU employees and students dedicated to ensuring our web redesign is a success.
Manager of Digital Communications
Social Media Intern