The Self-esteem and Higher Education Leadership Academy for young women is designed to empower female high school students grades 10-11 with the tools needed for personal and professional life and career success.
SHE is based on the theory that exposure to higher education, mentors, role modeling and planning a future for at-risk youth will increase persistence toward high school completion and encourage college attendance. Providing young women with self-determination to envision a future for themselves will result in strong women leaders, strong family units and healthier successful communities.
SHE Leadership Academy Program Goals:
- Develop leadership skills for young women
- Provide a bridge for a seamless transition from high school to college or career
- Increase motivation and persistence toward high school completion
- Empower young women & enhance their self-esteem
- Provide mentoring opportunities for underrepresented young women and Women community leaders
- Cultivate relationships between accomplished women leaders as role-models for SHE Leadership Academy participants
- Enable young women to take ownership in their future career choices by providing multiple demonstrations and models for success
- Demonstrate skills and techniques for dealing with negative behaviors and interactions i.e. bullying, peer pressure
- Encourage a “SHE Can-Do Attitude”
The highlight of the SHE Leadership Academy is the mentor program. Each high school student will be paired with a campus or community Exceptional Woman Leader. SHE will continue after the Academy based on monthly mentor contact, SHE Tweets and a newsletter.