Each spring the EWU Friends of the Library hold a “Make Your Mark” bookmark contest, where participants design an original 2 1/2 inches x 7 1/2 inches bookmark. The winner receives great prizes, and the winning entry is distributed campus wide and used for special events throughout the year.
Last year’s winner, Lance Kissler, graduated with a major in Graphic Communications and is currently working on his master’s degree in Communication Programming here at EWU.
“My future plans involve pursuing a career in the advertising industry, and I one day hope to become the principal and creative director at an advertising firm,” said Kissler.
Creating a bookmark can be a stepping stone for you. This is not only a chance to get a piece of your artwork shown all over campus and beyond, but it is a great addition to your portfolio.
Past winner Jamie Pearson included his accomplishment in his portfolio and later was offered and accepted a great position as a graphic artist in Seattle.
“Creating a bookmark for the library was enticing and an ideal way of leaving my mark,” Pearson said.
The contest is open to all EWU students, faculty, staff and Friends of the Library. The official entry period is March 28 through May 10. Contest criteria for the entries include:
• Dimensions of 2 1/2 inches x 7 1/2 inches.
• Must be done in black and white and/or shades of gray. (Will be reproduced on color cover stock, one ink.)
• Medium of presentation includes but is not limited to ink drawing, photograph, computer-generated design or image, or a combination of all. No pencil because it is difficult to reproduce.
• Must be all original material, including drawings and photographs. Entry may not include images from other sources. Prose from other sources may be included but must be fully attributed in the entry.
• Inclusion of the EWU Eagle logo is permissible, but not the EWU wordmark. (Check the EWU Identity Standards manual at www.ewu.edu/universityrelations/standards.)
Criteria for judging includes the message of the bookmark (does it encourage use of the EWU Libraries, reading, browsing or research), creativity of the design (including the originality of the design) and general aesthetics (including the entry’s artistry and overall appeal).
There will be a display of past bookmark contest winners set up in the JFK Library Lobby starting March 28. Stop by and see the bookmark designs from the past six winners.
Please submit entries to Janice Batchelor, 816 F Street, 100 Library, Cheney, Wash. 99004. Entries must be received no later than May 10, by 5 p.m. If you have any questions, call (509) 359-2264 or e-mail at email@example.com.