Have you ever wondered why people go out of their way for a cup of coffee at their favorite café when there is perfectly good coffee around the corner? What about those who invest significant money to see a live concert when they can listen to the same music in the comfort of their living room? And what about camping? Why do people spend a week preparing to sleep on the ground, not shower and essentially rough it when they could be at home enjoying running water?
In the book, The Experience Economy, Pine and Gilmore argue that it is the value that the experience holds for the individual that determines the worth of the offering. People want to be engaged, connected and find enjoyment in the experience.
Throughout the year, the Office of Alumni and the EWU Alumni Association board spend many hours contemplating this very question: how can we better engage, connect and enhance the alumni experience?
I want you to enjoy the Eagle experience in ways that create personal pride, enhance relationships in the community of alumni, and strengthen the university for many years to come. My staff and I are committed to making your relationship with EWU something special.
So let me ask you: have you taken the time to truly enjoy the Eagle Experience lately? Try these 10 ideas on for size:
- Attend one of our many EWU Alumni events
- Register for Eagle Link and reconnect with college friends: alumni.ewu.edu
- Support scholarships with an EWU license plate for your car, truck or motorcycle
- Join the EWU mobile community: text “Eagle” to 50055
- Join the EWU alumni conversations on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Pinterest
- Visit the EWU Career Services website for a lifetime of professional development resources
- Update your contact and employment info with the Alumni Office – 888.EWU.ALUM
- Give a financial gift to one of many Eastern programs and initiatives
- Hire EWU graduates and mentor EWU students
- Proudly wear your Eagle gear
I consider you an Eagle 4Life. I want you to enjoy the Eagle experience in ways that create personal pride, enhance relationships in the community of alumni, and strengthen the university for many years to come. My staff and I are committed to making your relationship with EWU something special. Have you taken the time to enjoy the Eagle experience lately?