The EWU Foundation exists to advance the mission of the University by raising, managing and distributing private, charitable contributions to Eastern Washington University.
The Foundation is guided by a board of directors. These directors provide oversight for the work of fundraising professionals who are employed by the University. The Board determines the goals and objectives of specific fundraising initiatives, sets policy with regard to investments and spending and ensures that proper attention is paid to stewardship of gifts already received.
Board members are elected to serve a three-year term of office. Members can serve two consecutive three-year terms. Members elected to serve as officers will extend their term to allow them to fulfill their duties as an officer.
As the Foundation continues to grow, the role of the members of the board become even more important. The expectations with regard to membership on the Board are as follows:
- Act as an advocate and ambassador for Eastern Washington University to friends, family, business associates and other constituencies at all times.
- Provide advice and counsel in an ongoing fashion to the work of the Foundation by attending the meetings of the full board (4 per year). Board members are also expected to actively participate in the committee work of the Board.
- Board members are asked to support EWU by giving to the best of their ability in the areas of annual giving, major gifts and an estate gift.
- Willingly assist development and University staff with potential donors with whom you have influence, leverage or entre and to also participate in visits with Advancement Staff.
- Provide appropriate guidance to Foundation and University personnel with regard to the viability of potential funding initiatives and their relationship to private industry, the community and other constituents.
- Provide support to Foundation and University efforts by attending University and Foundation events, in particular the signature events of the Red Tie Gala, Eagle Summit, Oktoberfest, Killin Dinner and the Alumni Awards and others as available.