I began this presentation feeling very lost, overwhelmed, and frustrated. I wasn’t sure where or how to start. I didn’t even know what topic I wanted to research. I felt frustrated when we were unable to figure out the computer glitches. I kept thinking, how in the world are we to get this done in less than two weeks when we can’t even figure out how to use the computers. I was sure completing this project was an impossibility.
On Wednesday, I began browsing the internet and printing information and pictures that I found interesting and potentially useful. I started categorizing the information to fit with the project guidelines. I began developing piles on related information. I started reading the information and began getting ideas for organization and project ideas. The project slowly began coming together to form a coherent plan of ideas.
I brainstormed some lesson plan and activity ideas. I narrowed my list down to several very fun and doable lesson plans for first graders. The activities go right along with the topic and lend a fun break for students. The powerpoint was the most difficult section to modify for first grade students. Initially, I wanted to have a powerpoint consisting mostly of pictures with very few words. I collected several images and tried to input them into the presentation. The powerpoint program would not allow me to use jpeg pictures in the presentation. I decided to use the powerpoint as a guideline for my teaching and a possible presentation to other teachers considering teaching a unit on Iraq.
I found that I indeed, get wrapped up in this project. It was a lot of work and required an enormous amount of time. My husband and I went to Newman lake with our friends on Sunday afternoon. They sat on the dock chatting, and I sat on the porch with my computer on my lap. I regrettably state that I am glad we did this project because I think I will be able to use it for my students. I do, however, think that two weeks is not long enough to complete the presentation. I realize that we all complete the projects, but we all had to put our lives on hold for two weeks. My parents took our daughter to their cabin in Priest Lake for one week so I would be able to work on this project non-stop. If I had another class with assignment or reading, I know that I would not have been able to complete the project.
In conclusion, completing this project was very difficult and I wish that I would have had more time, but I am glad I did it.