Our Mission Statement:

The ultimate goal of Get Lit! Programs, which includes educational outreach activities as well as an annual literary festival, is to engage the Inland Northwest community in a celebration of the written word and to encourage discussion, at all age levels, of literature in its many forms. Overall, Get Lit! Programs enhances the artistic, social, and cultural life of people throughout the region. 

Check out our website.

A Message from 2015-16 Assistant Coordinator, Tony Payne

I got involved with Get Lit! in my second quarter at EWU, because I was impressed by the range of jobs an internship with Get Lit! offered.

To put on our two festivals and other year-long programming takes marketing writing, social media work, grant applications, web and graphic design, and a whole lot of logistical planning. Besides Melissa Huggins (the heart and soul of Get Lit!), all of that work is done by student interns and one grad student assistant. I started out writing grant applications, because it was something I had zero experience with but knew it would be of some tangible benefit for my life in the non-profit or art world. Best of all, Melissa made sure I got plenty of helpful training on the process. By the next quarter, I was overseeing specific Get Lit! Festival events– from coordinating volunteers to making sure our liquor license went through (Gotta have whiskey at our “Pie & Whiskey” Reading!). Because I’d been involved with Get Lit! for four months before the festival came around, I knew about all the cool stuff happening at what is DEFINITELY Spokane’s greatest literary event.

Tony Payne
Assistant Coordinator