Willow Springs Magazine

77-Cover-Small

Willow Springs publishes the finest in contemporary fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as interviews with some of the most notable authors in contemporary literature, including Marilynne Robinson, Stuart Dybek, Aimee Bender, and Robert Bly. Founded in 1977 and published twice yearly, Willow Springs features two interviews per issue, as well as arresting essays, fiction, and poetry by a diverse variety of writers—from the unknown and up and coming, to U.S. Poet Laureates and Pulitzer Prize winners. An indispensable resource for writers and readers, Willow Springs engages its audience in an ongoing discussion of art, ideas, and what it means to be human.

In our 30 years of publication, Willow Springs has looked for and published fresh and established voices in fiction, poetry, and nonfiction, including those of Tobias Wolff, Jorge Luis Borges, Yusef Komunyakaa, Louis Jenkins, Denise Levertov, James Grabill, WS Merwin, William Stafford, Charles Bukowski, Chris Offutt, Robert Olmstead, Michael Martone, Robert Hass, Michael Heffernan, Tomaž Šalamun, Bret Lott, Sam Hamill, Naomi Shihab Nye, Alice Derry, Paulann Peterson, Osip Mandelstam, Patricia Henley, Thomas Reiter, Bill Tremblay, Tom Crawford, Mark Halliday, D. Nurkse, Elizabeth Murawski, and hundreds of others from around the world.

Our program offers MFA candidates many different internship opportunities, including doing editorial work for Willow Springs. Students can become readers in one or more genre, work as an Assistant Managing Editor, or apply to become Managing Editor in their second year (the student chosen will serves as AME during their first year, so the application process for this position begins early on in the first year of study.) The Managing Editor position comes with a tuition waiver and a stipend. Here are a few words from 2015-16 Managing Editor Holly Lavecchia on what it was like to work on the magazine:

“Being the managing editor of Willow Springs magazine was, in a word, badass. I was tasked with managing the people and business of the organization, and casting vision fIMG_20160816_115509or the future. For me, the managing editor title came with so much responsibility and authority that I started wearing big, black-frame glasses and a bun just to convince myself I could handle it.

The defining project of my tenure at WS was leading our team through a major design overhaul of the magazine, which was beautiful before, and is now stunning. I had my hands on every word we printed, from genre meetings where we fought for our favorite pieces, to late-night layout sessions, to the impassioned copy-editing marathon known as galleys. I also got to work with amazing, talented people. I gained confidence, an endless list of skills, and loved every second of it.” – Holly

Willow Springs also partners up with Writers in the Community to offer a program called Triceratops. Triceratops places pairs of graduate students in third-grade classrooms around Spokane, where they teach poetry for one hour a week, for four consecutive weeks. At the end of the project there is a reading/party, and the third-graders go home with a bound book of their class poems. This is a popular internship opportunity, and one that is growing by the year.