A PDF of this policy is at the bottom of the page.
President’s Diversity Committee
Organization – Committees
|EWU Policy 104-01||Authority: EWU Board of Trustees|
|Effective June 22, 2011||Proponent: University President|
Purpose: This policy establishes and describes the President’s Diversity Committee for Eastern Washington University.
History: This is a revision to existing policy. EWU Policy 104-01 was adopted by the EWU Board of Trustees on Sep 11, 2009, superseding UGS Policy 100‐060‐120 (May 2004), President’s Advisory Committee on Diversity. This revision was adopted by the Board of Trustees on June 22, 2011.
Applicability: This policy applies to all activities, operations, and programs at Eastern Washington University.
1. Committee Responsibilities
The President’s Diversity Committee shall:
- promote diversity at EWU by facilitating programs, assessments, events, initiatives, and similar activities in support of the President,
- support, develop, implement, assess, and monitor all matters with regards to diversity,
- advise the President on diversity issues, and
- promote effective participation by members of all racial, ethnic and under-represented groups in the civic life of the university
The University President shall appoint the members of the Committee. The Committee shall consist of:
- a committee chair;
- the Director of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action;
- one faculty member, nominated by the faculty senate;
- one administrative exempt employee, nominated by vice-presidents in consultation with the university president;
- one classified staff employee, nominated by the Classified Staff Union president;
- two students, nominated by the ASEWU president;
- one Academic Affairs representative;
- one Business and Finance representative;
- one Student Affairs representative;
- one International Affairs representative;
- three ethnic program representatives;
- one women’s studies representative;
- one Pride Center representative; and,
- one Disability Support Services representative.
The president may appoint the Director of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action as the committee chair. In such cases, the president shall also appoint another employee to serve on the committee.
Committee members shall be appointed for varying terms of 1-3 years. Members may be appointed to shorter terms for the purpose of staggering ending dates of individual terms. Committee members may also be re-appointed.
Seven voting members of the committee constitute a quorum. The committee chair may not vote except as needed to break a tie.
5. Ex Officio Committee Members
Ex officio members of the committee include, but are not limited to:
- University President or designee
- Provost or designee
- ASEWU Diversity Outreach Representative
- IRB Director
The specific responsibilities of the committee include:
- review and assess the campus climate and current university programs and initiatives relative to advancing diversity efforts
- recommend policies, strategies, programs, and activities involving which support the diversity goals and requirements of EWU;
- encourage members of the campus community to develop specific action solutions that will enhance and advance diversity efforts at Eastern;
- promote programs and efforts designed to advance diversity efforts;
- develop and implement ideas and strategies relevant to issues of diversity;
7. Committee Chair Responsibilities
- Meetings: Each year, the Chair of the Committee will develop a regular schedule for meetings. The schedule will be distributed to committee members and to members of the Executive Committee. The current meeting schedule will also be maintained on the President’s Diversity Committee website.
- Minutes: The Committee Chair will provide minutes of the meetings to committee members and to members of the Executive Committee. Minutes will also be maintained on the President’s Diversity Committee website.
- UGS Policy 600-090-025, Diversity Policy
- EWU Board of Trustees Diversity Initiative Plan, approved April 5, 2002.
- EWU Academic Strategic Planning Report 2003-04, Revised September 2006.