A PDF of this policy is at the bottom of the page.
Standards of Conduct
|EWU Policy 901-05||Authority: EWU Board of Trustees|
|Effective: March 21, 2014||Proponent: President’s Office|
Purpose: This policy pertains to familial relationships between employees of Eastern Washington University. It prescribes requirements and procedures for eliminating conflicts of interest associated with family relationships and for responding to violations of this policy.
History: This policy is new. It was adopted by the EWU Board of Trustees (BOT) on March 21, 2014.
Applicability: This policy pertains to all employees of Eastern Washington University, including student and non-student temporary employees.
1 – General
University employees shall not have supervisory authority over a family member and shall not initiate or participate in institutional decisions in which a family member has a direct beneficial or financial interest (such as appointment, retention, promotion, salary, leave of absence, award of a contract.).
University employees may not use their positions to secure special privileges or exemptions for a family member, except as required to perform their duties within the scope of their employment.
1-2. Violation Procedures
Suspected violations of this policy or of Chapter 42.52 RCW shall be reported to human resources. Reports of alleged violations shall be investigated under EWU Guideline 401-01, Investigations.
1-3. Related References
- Chapter 42.52 RCW, Ethics in Public Service
- Title 292 WAC, Ethics in Public Service
“Family member” includes:
- an individual’s spouse or domestic partner
- a child, stepchild, grandchild, parent, stepparent, grandparent, brother, half-brother, sister, or half-sister of an individual or of their spouse or registered domestic partner
- the spouse or the domestic partner of any person identified in subsection b above.
2 – Procedures
If a supervisor/subordinate relationship between immediate family members exists, the following actions will be taken:
- The supervisor involved in the relationship shall immediately report the relationship to their supervisor.
- The supervisor receiving such a report will immediately notify human resources for assessment and further action. This supervisor will also take responsibility for all personnel actions regarding the subordinate employee in the relationship until the matter is otherwise resolved by the university.
- Human resources will coordinate with university administration to eliminate the conflict of interest.