A PDF Version of this policy is at the bottom of the page.
Effective: December 25, 2014
(1) “Owner” means any person having control, custody, or possession of a pet.
(2) “Pet” includes all nonhuman mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Pet does not include service or working animals.
(3) “Service animal” means an animal that is trained for the purpose of assisting or accommodating a person’s sensory, mental, or physical disability, as defined by applicable state and/or federal laws.
(4) “University property” means property that the university owns, operates, leases, rents, or otherwise controls.
(5) “Working animal” means an animal that is trained for specific tasks and under the control of police, security or emergency personnel, or of a university employee. Examples of working animals include, but are not limited to, patrol, rescue, or sentry dogs.
Compliance with local regulations.
Title 7 of the municipal code of the city of Cheney, Washington, relating to animal control applies to university property within the city of Cheney, Washington. Relevant state, county, and municipal laws relating to animal control shall apply to all university property outside the city of Cheney, Washington.
Pets on campus.
Pets are permitted on university property only when their presence complies with all of the following requirements:
(1) All pets brought onto university property must be licensed and leashed as required by local ordinances and/or state law.
(2) Pets are not permitted inside university buildings, except pets may be permitted in housing facilities when the pet’s presence fully complies with all applicable housing agreements and policies or when required by state or federal law.
(3) Owners shall maintain direct and continuous control of any pet brought onto university property. Owners shall not permit any pet to run at large on university property. Pets that are tethered in the owner’s absence and not under the owner’s direct control are considered to be running at large.
(4) Owners shall not permit any pet to enter any pond, fountain, or stream located on university property.
(5) Owners shall remove from university property any pet that disturbs or disrupts university activities or operations.
(6) Owners shall immediately remove from university property any pet that exhibits behavior that is threatening to people, other animals, or university property.
(7) Owners shall immediately cleanup and properly dispose of any feces or vomit created by their pets.
(8) Further restrictions to pets may apply to specific areas of university property, consistent with university policies and/or state and federal laws including, but not limited to, food preparation areas, animal research facilities, and biologically sensitive or hazardous areas.
Enforcement and penalties.
(1) Any pet found on university property in violation of the city of Cheney’s municipal code may be reported to city of Cheney authorities.
(2) Owners found in violation of any provision of this chapter may be cited, banned from university property, or otherwise disciplined by the university.