Sorority & Fraternity Life Creed
We, the Sorority & Fraternity Life community at Eastern Washington University, believe in upholding high principles through the development of personal leadership and moral character.
We believe, through involving ourselves in selfless service and placing emphasis on scholarship through academic excellence, men and women will be made better by being a part of our community.
We believe, through the maintenance of our high standards, we will set an example and gain the respect of our peers and community members.
We believe, through the bonds of brotherhood and sisterhood, we will create lifelong friendships of love, loyalty and honor.
1. Lifelong Friends & A Home Away From Home - Joining a sorority/fraternity helps with the adjustment of living away from home. Members are surrounded by friends and opportunities to grow, leaving little time to miss home. Membership in a chapter will provide lifelong bonds that last beyond your time at EWU.
2. Life Skills, Leadership & Connections - Sororities and fraternities are dedicated to building leaders. Each chapter provides a wealth of leadership opportunities for their members. Our members are some of the most active and visible leaders on campus. Current members are able to connect with alumni through their organizations. This provides opportunities for mentorship and potential employment opportunities.
3. Personal & Intellectual Growth - Academics are a major focus of Sorority & Fraternity Life. Studies have shown that members of fraternal organizations have a significant higher rate of graduation. Our community works to ensure that all members excel academically. Members in our community are also provided with educational opportunities to develop outside of the classroom.
4. Social Activities & Involvement - Participate in events, get involved and experience all campus has to offer. Chapters participate in campus and community events like homecoming, educational programming and community service projects. Events allow members to engage in all fraternity and sorority life has to offer a larger community.
5. Giving Back - Each year, fraternities and sororities contribute thousands of dollars and hours towards various philanthropies and community service agencies. Each organization has sponsored philanthropies, but we all come together to support each other’s causes.
SFL organizations are dedicated to building future leaders. They are self-governing organizations that provide a wealth of leadership opportunities for their members. Our members are some of the most active and visible student leaders on campus.
Philanthropy & Community Service
One of the most gratifying aspects of SFL is the sense of pride that comes with philanthropic and community service events. Last year, our chapters donated $20,000+ and 12,327 hours worked to various philanthropies and community service agencies.
Sisterhood & Brotherhood
This special bond focuses on individuality and appreciation of differences, not conformity. Membership in a sorority and fraternity organization will provide you with lifelong bonds that continue beyond your years at Eastern Washington University.
Sororities and fraternities are values based organizations and are dedicated to helping all members live values based lives. Each organization focuses on character, integrity and ethical behavior.
We believe that one's financial commitment is modest in comparison to the innumerable benefits you will receive as a member of a sorority or fraternity and encourage you to think of it as an investment in your future and overall development in college.
When joining an (inter)national organization doors open for countless networking opportunities. Our chapters work closely with their alumni base and (inter)nationals for their chapter needs, all the while making lasting connections that can potentially help in the future.
Did you know statistics show that fraternity and sorority members have a higher rate of graduation than students who do not join? Did you know that academic excellence is a prerequisite to becoming a member of a fraternity or sorority? The SFL Community works to ensure that all members excel academically. Additionally, through partnering with campus departments, members are provided with many educational opportunities to develop outside of the classroom.