Welcome to the Psychology Department
Psychology is a diverse discipline, grounded in science and aimed to understand human behavior. While some are basic researchers who develop and test theories, others apply the discipline's scientific knowledge to help people, organizations and communities.
Psychology majors, whether they continue to careers in psychology, counseling or other fields, cite courses in the principles of human behavior as especially applicable to their life after college. The insight and portability of knowledge gained helps guide parents, business managers and professionals in many fields. A manager of a consumer products company shares: "I use information on learning theory every time I conduct a training session for my employees."
Most of our declared majors express the desire to continue their education in graduate programs in psychology as well as business, education, medicine or law. The department provides internship opportunities and career fairs; supports students' research presentations at international, national and regional conferences; and strives to foster a supportive and intellectual climate so graduates will be prepared for life after graduation and continued education.
Our mission is to education undergraduate and graduate students in the science and profession of psychology and counseling. To accomplish this goal, the department seeks to:
- Promote the acquisition of the core knowledge and principles of psychology.
- Develop students' skills in research and statistics.
- Further students' ability to think analytically, logically and creatively.
- Develop students' ability to communicate effectively according to the standards of the discipline.
- Forster increased understanding of diverse populations.
- Enhance students' professional growth and development.
Our faculty include psychologists and counselor educators with expertise in:
- Clinical Psychology
- School Psychology
- Mental Health and School Counseling
- Social Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Behavior Analysis
Our faculty serve the university, the Psychology Department and its students through demonstrated excellence in teaching, research and service.
Faculty and Staff Listing