2019 Commencement Ceremony
Serving as the EWU Commencement student speaker offers a special opportunity to represent the Eagle community and represent your graduating class, reflecting upon the experiences you have had at Eastern and what you have learned.
We hope you will consider submitting an application and look forward to your involvement in the process!
Commencement student speaker applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate students in good standing (not on academic probation and in compliance with student conduct code requirements)
- Approved for graduation in June 2019
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
Phase I: Written Application (Deadline: April 22, 2019)
The written application is comprised of the following:
- Candidate Application/Information Form (expected to launch by April 3 via EagleSync)
- Current copy of your résumé (including academic achievements, affiliations and leadership roles with any clubs/organizations, community service contributions, and awards earned while a student at EWU)
- One-page overview of the message and focus of your proposed speech (including the topic and all main points, double-spaced)
- Names/contact information of 3 faculty/staff references (one reference must be from your academic major)
Phase II: Interviews/Auditions (Monday, May 13, 2019)
Candidates selected to move on to the second phase of the process will interview with the Selection Committee and deliver an excerpt of their proposed speech. Speech excerpts should be no longer than 2 minutes in length and will be timed to stay within this requirement.
During the interview phase, candidates will be evaluated based upon three primary criteria:
- content and delivery of the speech
- reflection of university’s high academic standards
- consistency of presentation with EWU’s mission and values
Phase III: Selection
Selected speakers are expected to be notified via email by approx. May 15, 2019.
Phase IV: Commencement Speech Preparation (selected speakers only, May 15-June 15)
During this period, the two successful candidates will be required to work with a Commencement Speech Coach who will assist the students to revise and refine their speeches from the time of selection through the commencement ceremony.