The Veterans Resource Center provides critical services and support to our service members, veterans and their families. The VRC assists with your transition from the military to higher education and back into civilian life as you learn to navigate the university system. We will support the unique recruitment, retention and educational needs of our students whose lives are connected to the military.
Changes coming your way.
See what may affect you under the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017 also known as the
"Forever GI Bill (FGIB)"
Below are some of the changes. For more information on all changes, please visit the VA's website at: Forever GI Bill.
- The 15-year time limitation to use Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits is eliminated for Veterans who left active duty on or after January 1, 2013.
- Assistance for Students Affected by School Closures and Certain Disapprovals. VA is now authorized to restore benefits and provide relief to education beneficiaries affected by school closures or certain disapprovals.
Changes coming soon on or after August 1, 2018:
- Update as of April 5, 2018: Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) will be calculated based on location of the campus where the student attends the majority of their classes. A "campus" may include internships, externships, training, practicums, etc. VA is working with your School Certifying Officials to implement this change and ensure you receive your monthly housing payment. Students can expect to see changes in their monthly housing allowance after August 1, 2018.
- Changes to Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA): DEA will decrease the amount of entitlement from 45 months to 36 months. This change will apply to those individuals who enroll after August 1, 2018.
- Consolidation of Benefit Levels under the Post 9/11 GI Bill program. Eliminates the 40-percent benefit level and expands the 60-percent benefit level under the Post 9/11 GI Bill program due to the aggregate service period.
- More Benefits for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Programs: VA will provide up to nine months of additional Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to certain eligible individuals. This expansion becomes effective on August 1, 2019
The Veterans Resource Center provides the following:
- GI Bill benefit information
- Admissions and financial aid counseling
- Targeted recruitment
- Academic and personal advising
- Liaison with disability support services
- Specialized tutoring
- Support for veterans' student club
- Activities for veteran and military students and their families
- Public presentations and speakers
- Workshops for veteran and military student
- Faculty and staff training